Hermitages and abbeys

The rugged Abruzzo region (65% mountains and the remaining 35% hills) holds a rich heritage of churches, basilicas, monasteries, shrines, monasteries, convents.
Monasteries dating back to different historical and artistic periods and, therefore, characterized by an extraordinary variety of architectural styles. Most of them preserved priceless treasures: first stands the hermitage of Santo Spirito a Majella, near Roccamorice, erected in the centuries before the year 1,000 AD, this monastery leaning onto the rock was rebuilt after many years of neglect by Pietro da Morrone, who arrived here in 1246 and stayed for about 47 years.

Besides the majestic churches and basilicas enclosed within the walls of numerous cities of art, stand out: Abbey of San Clemente a Casauria (IX sec.), with the famous porch of the abbot Leonate, Castiglione a Casauria; Cistercian Abbey of Santa Maria di Arabona (XII sec.) in Manoppello Scalo.